Electrical – Uses electricity as power, usually converting it into some other form of energy.(Ex: light bulb, vacuum cleaner, and air conditioner)
Electronic – Manipulates the nature of the electric currents itself, which allows it to do useful tasks. Uses active electrical components such as vacuum tubes, diodes and circuits. These days, these devices usually have some form of computer or micro-controller in it. Additionally, the currents are used to transmit information. (Ex: Computer, new fridges, and cell phones)
The most important difference between electrical and electronic devices is that electronic devices are more advanced than electrical devices. Although both electrical and electronic devices both take electricity and convert it into some form of energy, electronic devices can manipulate currents to transmit information and do other tasks electrical devices couldn’t.
Disadvantages of electronic:
- If one computer breaks, the whole system will cease to work.
Advantages of electronic:
- Everything can be timed in intervals, instead of having someone having to manually press a button.
- The system works as a unit, instead of having separate electrical units.
- It’s easier to add changes to the whole unit because everything is connected to a single micro controller.
- It’s much more advanced than electrical units.
NYC made the right thing switching to electrical traffic lights because it created a more efficient way to control traffic. Electronic traffic lights are easier to change if something occurs, and it doesn’t need to be manually pressed to use the traffic lights, since it’s automatically pressed in intervals by a computer. This was a good decision that NYC made.